Sunday 4 February 2018

Up Date on Treatment

Chemotherapy

Went for treatment on Friday morning, Simon started my new hand warmer which is to help the Oncology nurses find a vein easier. (not really too keen on getting a PICC). 

Made good time getting to the hospital and found a parking spot straight away and we even managed to catch the lift (well with the help of a kind lady).  Saw Tammy (one of the Oncology nurses) on arrival and said hello just as she disappeared, I had not even sat down before Tammy reappeared and called my name.

I got settled but left my gloves on clutched tightly to my hand warmer  which I'm certain did the trick because I did not have to have my hands in the hot water for long and Tammy got the cannula in straight away 'First Time', off went my blood, now all we could do is wait.

Whilst I was enjoying a Raspberry and Cranberry Tea and biscuits, Simon's rumbling stomach broke the silence, he was contemplating whether to go down to the canteen for a breakfast or wait for dinner and have Steak pie, chips and peas that he had enjoyed last Friday.  He decided to wait for the pie and went on a coffee run to distract his growling stomach (bless him he bought me a packet of crisps, granola yoghurt & bottle of water to go with my lunch).

After about an hour and half's wait Tammy came over to me, it did not look good.  She said that the lab had rung and my Neutrophils were low (0.6) and she was waiting for the Oncology Doctor's decision.  The level that is necessary is normally 1.0 or above so mine being 0.6 wasn't the best.  Some time later, she returned and explained that the doctor was very busy but had said that I couldn't have my treatment today and that they would contact me later in the day to discuss the future plan.

Being very busy herself, Tammy left me to continue nursing the other patients in the bay.  I could feel my eyes welling up, I turned my head away from Simon and wishing them to stop.  Feeling around in my cuffs for a tissue to no avail.  Then I remembered that I had a serviette from my latte which was on the table, by this time tears were silently falling down across my cheeks.  I needed that serviette.  Lisa pulled up the stool and was a great help talking to me as she took my cannula out.  Then it was time for coat on and back on the journey home - minus no treatment!

The reason for me being so upset at not having my treatment this week is because I am on palliative chemotherapy, that is not to cure me but to keep me alive.  So missing it is a huge emotional drain but back at clinic on Tuesday so will know more about what the plan is going forward.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3

Incredible Like You (2) Second set of 4 cards created from the card kit from Stampin' Up 'Incredible Like Y...